New York Automobile Club Formed.
The New York Times
June 21, 1899
The owners of horseless carriages through an organization committee have practically completed the organization of the New York Automobile Club. The committee held a long meeting at the Waldorf-Astoria last night. The committee is composed of Gen. George Moore Smith, Charles R. Flint, William H. Hall, Whitney Lyon, and Dr. Frank C. Hollister. The actions of the park authorties in refusing to allow automobiles in Central Park was criticised, and it may be that a test case will be made. The run to Irvington-on-the-Hudson, on July 20, was discussed, and a list of probable charter members of the club drawn up. The name of the club was changed from "The Automobile Club of America," as was first intended, to "The New York Automobile Club." The Waldorf-Astoria will be headquarters for the present. The first annual meeting has been set for the first week in September. At that time, permanent officers will be elected, and races, cups, and runs arranged for the Winter.
|Connect with The Crittenden Automotive Library|