Wikipedia: Gilbarco Veeder-Root
The following section is an excerpt from Wikipedia's Automotive Industries page on 22 September 2019, text available via the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
The company was founded under the name Gilbert & Barker in 1870 by Charles Gilbert and John Barker. The company was renamed as Gilbarco in 1929. For nearly one hundred years Gilbarco was an affiliate of what is today the Exxon Mobil Corporation until it was later acquired by the British engineering company GEC in 1987. Among Gilbarco's first products was a simple oil burning lamp, which was given away in China and other places to increase the purchase of lamp oil. That lamp was so popular within the Exxon culture that it was the inspiration for the name of Exxon's in house magazine "The Lamp" until that publication was discontinued in recent years. In 1999 GEC renamed itself to Marconi and Gilbarco became Marconi Commerce Systems. In 2002 Gilbarco was acquired by the Danaher Corporation, parent company of Veeder-Root and Red Jacket companies, and became Gilbarco Veeder-Root.
In 1984 Gilbarco launched one of America's first and, at the time, most successful instances of lean manufacturing which was called CRISP, an acronym for Continuous Rapid Improvement System of Production. As a result, in 1994 Gilbarco's United States manufacturing plant in Greensboro North Carolina was designated by Industry Week Magazine as One of America's Ten Best Plants. After Gilbarco was acquired by Danaher, the Gilbarco CRISP system was extended and adopted company wide and ultimately evolved into what is today known as the Danaher Production System.
In 2002, the Gilbarco and Veeder-Root companies combined into one marketing brand.
|Esso Twin Gas Pump|
2013 Mecum Chicago Auction
Photo ©2013 Bill Crittenden
View photo of Gilbarco Esso Twin Gas Pump - 3.5MB
|2 December 2016||Automotive Fuel Ratings, Certification and Posting||Federal Register: FTC (Donald S. Clark)|
|Connect with The Crittenden Automotive Library|