Official Site: Phillips66.com
Wikipedia: Phillips 66
The following section is an excerpt from Wikipedia's Phillips 66 page on 24 April 2021, text available via the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
The Phillips 66 Company is an American multinational energy company headquartered in Westchase, Houston, Texas. It debuted as an independent energy company when ConocoPhillips executed a spin-off of its downstream and midstream assets. Its name dating back to 1927 as a trademark of the Phillips Petroleum Company, the newly-reconfigured Phillips 66 began trading on the New York Stock Exchange on May 1, 2012, under the ticker PSX. The company is engaged in producing natural gas liquids (NGL) and petrochemicals. The company has approximately 14,000 employees worldwide and is active in more than 65 countries. Phillips 66 is ranked No. 23 on the Fortune 500 list and No. 67 on the Fortune Global 500 list as of 2018.
Phillips Petroleum Co. was founded by Lee Eldas "L.E." Phillips and Frank Phillips of Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and incorporated on June 13, 1917. The new company had assets of $3 million, 27 employees and land throughout Oklahoma and Kansas. After discovery of Texas's huge Panhandle gas field in 1918 and the Hugoton Field to its north in Kansas, Phillips became increasingly involved in the rapidly developing natural gas industry. In particular, the company specialized in extracting liquids from natural gas and by 1925 was the nation's largest producer of natural gas liquids. According to the Phillips Petroleum Company Museum in Bartlesville, the “Phillips 66” name for the gasoline came about by a combination of events. The specific gravity of the gasoline was close to 66; the car testing the fuel did 66 miles per hour; and, the test took place on US Route 66. So, the naming committee unanimously voted for “Phillips 66.”
The first Phillips 66 service station opened November 19, 1927, at 805 E. Central Street in Wichita, Kansas. This station still stands, preserved by the local historical society. The first Phillips 66 service station built in Texas opened on July 27, 1928, on the corner of 5th and Main streets in Turkey, Texas.
|Date||Document Name & Details||Documents|
|2 December 2016|
|United States of America v. James T. Woodford|
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Western Division
PDF - 108KB - 19 pages
|Subject: Phillips 66 Wayne Gas Pump
Photographer: Bill Crittenden
Event: Mecum 2012 Fall Premier Auction
Auction Info: Sold for for $2,000.
View photo of Phillips 66 Wayne Gas Pump - 1.3MB
|Connect with The Crittenden Automotive Library|